Thursday, August 15, 2019

Kombucha First Ferment

Kombucha First Ferment


So you have grown your own SCOBY. Now what? Its easy. When your SCOBY is large enough for a gallon you can really get going. Here are the steps I use:


  1. Make sure all of your tools are sanitized and cleaned well. I use star san cleanser to ensure nothing funky goes into my brew.  
  2. Boil a pot of water, add 8 tea bags and one cup of water. Stir to dissolve the sugar. I use black tea but you can use green or any tea that doesnt have oils added to it. Hibiscus is a popular tea I see used a lot but I have only used black. Let the tea steep to desired strength.
  3. When the tea has cooled pour it in a gallon jar and add your scoby and 2 cups of your starter tea. Top off with water. Your starter tea is the tea you used to grow your SCOBY.
  4. Cover your jar with a light cloth or coffee filter and secure with a rubber band. I always use a light cloth like muslin. Do not use cheesecloth - it is too porous.
  5. Date & label your jar and set aside in your pantry or out of direct sunlight.
  6. After about 5 days test daily by sticking a (reusable) straw into your kombucha until you get your desired taste. Kombucha should be slightly vinagary/ tart with some sweetness. You decide the level of sourness/ sweetness though so its ready when it tastes good to you. Mine is usually done in 5-7 days.
  7. At this point you will pour your kombucha from your gallon jug into flip top bottles for your second ferment. 
I will post about your second ferment next week. I use fruit or fruit puree in mine. The options are endless. If you missed my -Create Your Own SCOBY post check it out here. You can also click the kombucha tab on my sidebar to see all of my kombucha posts.

Please see my disclosures page for details. Do not copy, in whole, or in part any portion of any postings on my blog. Do not repost my content on any other site without my explicit consent. All of my postings belong solely to lindsey8.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment