Monday, February 14, 2011

Joy Bauer's Slimdown Workout

Joy Bauer's Slimdown Workout
Lisa Wheeler, 2010

Joy Bauer works out beside Lisa Wheeler, who actually leads this workout in a large open room with pillars. The dvd has two 20 min w/o's and a 5 min warmup and 5 min cooldown. You can play all or select a portion if you are short on time. Workout 1 requires no equipment (I used weights) and workout 2 utilizes dumbbells.

Workout One: Lisa & Joy alternate cardio and strength moves such as: side lunges, grapevine boogie, curtsy dip, pushups, planks, bridges, and crunches. Lisa adds in balance moves & ups the cardio intensity to keep your body guessing & to push you that much harder. I rate this workout beginner- but you can easily use dumbbells to up the strength work.

Workout Two:  This w/o is structured like w/o in that you alternate cardio & strength, and adds in balance challenges & cardio intensifiers. Moves include: tri kick back w/ toe tap, step kick w/ hop, upright row & pliet, planks, crunches, pec fly & bridges, 1 legged tri dips, squat with clean & press, low back work, lat row -knee drop, ham curls, etc. I rate this workout intermediate.

While some of the moves are compound- the poundage (in w/o 2) is always appropriate for both moves. The other moves allowed me to heavy up, but were at a quick enough pace to get my heart rate up- (using heavy dumbbells helps up the HR too). If you wanted to kick this up a notch: up your poundage, do the higher impact mods from the get go, add weights to w/o 1, etc. I liked the flow of this workout and found (w/o 2 in particular) solid. This is a great dvd for a beginner: master w/o one and then move up and work on workout 2. I received this dvd from Acacia for review.

5 comments:

  1. Those hearts are a crack up! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hearts on the windshield!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies!!!!! They were fun to make (and fun to eat!) Though I only had one and left the rest at the party. Yes, I regretted leaving them later LOL!

    ReplyDelete