Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Create Your Own Kombucha SCOBY From Store Bought Kombucha!

Check out my SCOBY!


Years ago I wanted to start making my own kombucha at home but the thought of ordering a SCOBY online & having it shipped to me was kind of gross so I sat the idea aside & continued spending $3+ a bottle at the store. Well I read a little online & saw that you can actually create your own SCOBY at home. I figured what they hey, if it doesnt work, Im only out the $3 bottle it cost me. Well to my delight- it worked and it was SO super easy to do.  Below is the method I used and it worked like a charm. Some people add sweetened brewed tea to the store bought kombucha but I didnt do that.




  1. buy a store bought bottle of kombucha. Preferably unflavored but I couldnt find one so I got a flavored & it worked fine. It must be raw kombucha.
  2. pour about 3/4 of the bottle into a mason jar and cover with light cloth or coffee filter secured with a rubberband. (If you choose to add sweetened tea you would brew 2 black or green unflavored tea bags and combine with 6 TBS white sugar. When cooled to room temp add to your kombucha & then cover)
  3. leave it to sit on the counter or in your pantry until you see a SCOBY start to form. Please note the time will vary depending on the climate & temperature of your house. Mine grew much more quickly than the time frames I saw online. Our house is warm and our climate is dry.
  4. When you have a good scoby formed you can now begin brewing your own kombucha using the guide I found online below. Because my SCOBY was relatively small at this point, I made small batches & moved to larger containers and my SCOBY continued to grow - it will form to the shape of your container until it was big enough to use a gallon jar



Thats it! Making kombucha at home is super easy! I will have follow up posts on flavoring, brewing, first& second ferments & more. Stay tuned. Below is whats left of my latest batch of boysenberry kombucha!


Please see my disclosures page for details. Do not copy, in whole, or in part any portion of any postings on my blog. Do not repost my content on any other site without my explicit consent. All of my postings belong solely to lindsey8.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment