Thursday, October 21, 2010

Tae Bo Amped Core Express Review

Tae Bo Amped Core Express
Billy Blanks, 2007

This is a 30 min standing core workout that uses Billy's 3 lb "amplifier bar." I used the 4 lb portion of the sculpting stick cuz thats all I had and it worked nicely. Billy works out with a handful of backgrounders in a room w/ an Asian feel- screen type windows in the background, Asian characters on the walls, and red carpet. Half the b/g'ers use a stick and 1/2 do not so its an optional gadget.

The workout is structured that Billy does 4 sets of 8 reps (on each side if applicable) at a moderate pace and then 4 more sets of 8 at the "amped" pace. The bar is used for the entire workout. You will see a lot of kickboxing type moves-like knee pulls, side kicks, etc. Which is nice, in some of his ab w/o's theres little to no kickboxing. He includes some nice twisting moves and knee pull variations, tap the bar to the foot, etc.

I would rate this a solid intermediate workout using the bar. The workout itsself is very good, unique moves, standing, includes some moves that will get your heartrate up a bit. I really like the work and will be using this one often. I love that there are no crunches (no floor work at all) and that the "amped" moves can get your heart rate up more than your typical ab work. I will def feel this in my obliques tomorrow.

BUT Billy is a little over the top in this one. Of course theres the counting but thats normal. Billy repeats the same sentences over and over "the floor is hot, the floor is hot, the floor is hot" seriously, he said it about 10 X. Then in the next segment he finds another key phrase to repeat. Its almost OCD-esque. And theres Shelley "yes sir" "we love you" "wooooooooooooo" etc. I could live w/out the vocals on this and the music is nothing special so I will be muting this one for future use. None of the moves would require me to have to hear Billy's cueing or instruction anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment