Friday, July 19, 2013

Interview with Fitness Pro: Amy Dixon


Amy Dixon is one of the most dynamic fitness instructors and Master Trainers in the industry today. With a Bachelor of Science degree in exercise physiology, as well as many other fitness certifications, Amy delivers fresh, fun workouts while challenging and motivating exercisers. Featured in many workouts for Women’s Health and a popular trainer for ExerciseTV, Amy’s workouts SuperFitBod and Give Me 10 gained instant popularity with exercisers everywhere.  Amy Dixon’s two newest releases include Give me 10 More and Breathless Body.
Belles: Many of us are familiar with you from your workouts, ExerciseTV and Women’s Health workouts. What can you tell us about yourself and how you got started in fitness?
Amy: I am a hard-working mother of two that wanted to produce DVDS from the time I first started doing Karen Voight’s video’s.  I grew up in a small town in Utah and have participated in sports all of my life.  My dad was an amazing coach and his passion and hard work has definitely rubbed off on me.  I am a former World Competitive Power Tumbler, an Exercise Physiologist, the Group Fitness Manager for Equinox in Santa Monica, a member of Gatorade’s G-Series Fit Team, a Master trainer for Schwinn and BOSU, a founding member of the International Fitness Challenge and a star and creator of many critically acclaimed fitness DVDS.  For me fitness was a natural transition from sports, tumbling, and cheerleading.  I originally was going to be a school teacher but changed my major on my first day of school because I truly wanted to work in the fitness industry.  
Belles: With so much misinformation out there and everyone claiming to be an expert on something, how do you help your clients decipher the information so that they can achieve a healthy and fit lifestyle?
Amy: To me it is all about being authentic.  There definitely is a lot of misinformation out there, but I have found that by offering up my opinion with science as my support it tends to help people understand who really knows what they are talking about and who just wants to make a quick buck with the next trend. 
Belles: You have created a variety of workouts from BOSU to kickboxing, circuits to Tabata. What is your favorite workout and training method and why?
Amy: It’s hard for me to pick a favorite BUT if I have to it would be strength training.  Right now I am really digging Kettlebells and ViPR. 
Belles: You have recently participated in some fun extreme events, Tough Mudder and International Fitness Challenge comes to mind, how do you prepare for these events and what do you have planned next? 
Amy: To prepare for these events I definitely logged more hours in the gym and practiced my BOSU workout from start to finish so that I could be completely prepared to work the room.  The next major event I have on the horizon is another Tough Mudder in February 2012…wish me luck.
Belles: You look absolutely fantastic in your new Breathless Body & Give Me Ten More! DVDs what was your training routine to prep for the filming? 
Amy: I actually trained hard by working on choreography for the DVDS and invested in a meal delivery program called ZEN foods.  It REALLY changed my body. 
Belles: We have loved all of your DVD releases and cannot wait for more! We know you just released two new (fantastic) workouts- any other projects on the horizon? 
Amy: I have quite a few more things up my sleeve.  Right now I am working on a new program for BOSU and plan to shoot two brand new DVDS in early 2012.  Stay tuned for specifics but I’m thinking there is a lot more room for a female to swing a Kettlebell. 
To learn more about Amy Dixon, visit her at
Amy Dixon Fitness on Facebook
Amy Dixon Fitness on Twitter
You can also catch her columns on ESPNW and her FREE workout downloads for G-Series Fit and MotionTraxx

No comments:

Post a Comment